A law firm for clients with high expectations
Home Services Licences for works/alterations

Licences for works/alterations

Tenants or occupiers often want to alter their premises or carry out works to them for which they may need a formal written licence under the terms of their lease or transfer.

Granting the Licence

SLC Solicitors can act on behalf of landlords, management companies and developers, whose responsibility it is to grant those licences to ensure that the rest of the buildings or estate is safeguarded, that the works are carried out to an adequate standard and that remedies are put in place for breach of the tenant’s obligations. If the works to be completed include the installation of hard floors, a new heating system or any wet areas like a new kitchen, bathroom or utility, then a licence for the works is essential. This is also the case for any structural alterations to the property such as removing walls, changing room sizes or replacing windows and doors. The cost of any legal fees is payable by the tenant in all cases. Often, the lease will provide the right for the party giving consent to the alterations to charge an “administrative” fee, providing you with an additional income stream.

All we require is:

  • The lease of the flat or the TP1 (transfer) if the property is freehold;
  • A plan of the proposed works;
  • A schedule of the proposed works.

We will then liaise with the tenant or occupiers’ lawyers to bring the matter to a speedy conclusion.

Analise Broomhall
Head of Property/Solicitor
  • Phone: 0333 0300 200
  • Email: adb@slcsolicitors.com
  • Newsletter signup

By submitting your details, you are agreeing to share your data with the Metamorph Group of Companies. To opt out; please see details on our privacy statement by clicking here